Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Any librarians out there in "the cloud"? The Kirbyville Public Library now has a presence on Facebook (yeah???) ">Kirbyville Public Library on Facebook

I have RSS feeds to my Google Chrome browser from Texas State Library and Archives Commission, American Library Association,  Infopeople Training, Goodreads,  Barnes and Noble, and Michael Stevens' Tame the Web blog.

I should be in "the loop".  So shouldn't I feel smarter, more informed, better equipped to make decisions and create programming ideas for my library?   According to these RSS feeds and blogs I am a Librarian 2.0 ready, willing and able.

So why does it take me 30 - 45 minutes to post information and links on the KPL Facebook page?  I spend the first 15 of those minutes calm and confident in the knowledge that the nuggets of information are of intrinsic value to patrons of the library and our community.  Inevitably, 20 minutes into this little task (which really shouldn't be hard) the air around my work station is blue, my computer terminal is in imminent danger of being violently destroyed in an explosion of sparks and hopefully flames, when I will undoubtedly take my telephone and keyboard and being flailing away at the @(#% thing like a freakin' maniac! ! ! !!

So . . . . . . I back off or get off my "high horse" and leave the library premises to adjourn to the neighborhood convenience for a huge Dr. Pepper and the largest amount of chocolate that I can cram into my mouth.

On my chocolate high I'll log into Pinterest and see what other librarians are doing.  I love that I can use Pinterest and appear to be diligently working on projects or researching ideas for use in our library; when in reality I'm just browsing the internet.  Isn't technology fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment